Officer alerts family to fire
Police played a major role in a Vernon family escaping a burning house.
The blaze broke out in the 2400 block of 45th Avenue some time before 12:47 a.m.
“Four people were in the home at the time of the fire,” said Dean Wakefield, fire investigator, of the two adults and two children.
“RCMP on patrol noticed smoke coming from the house and began pounding on the windows and doors.”
The family was already aware that there may be a problem because the sound of running water woke them up.
The RCMP officer placed the children - ages one and four - in his vehicle so they could keep warm despite the cold early-morning temperature.
No one was injured and Wakefield admits the situation could have been worse if it wasn’t for the actions of the officer.
“It’s great the police saw it and alerted the family,” he said.
“They had a working smoke alarm but it didn’t sound to alert them.”
Firefighters were on scene shortly after receiving the call.
“Crews found fire in the attic space upstairs,” said Wakefield.
“The fire had melted a plastic water line in the process.”
There is smoke and fire damage to the attic and some water and smoke damage also occurred on the main floor.
“The cause of the fire was either in an electrical box or wiring to the box that had a light fixture attached,” said Wakefield.
The family is insured and the value of the damage is estimated to be about $75,000.
“They could be out of the house possibly for three months,” said Wakefield.