New fees at area landfills
There are changes underway at North Okanagan landfills.
The Regional District of North Okanagan board has approved a new fee schedule which takes effect Wednesday.
The most significant changes are:
- an increase in the refuse disposal fee from $85/tonne to $88/tonne (the minimum charge for refuse remains at $3);
- the fee for construction and demolition waste will increase by $5/tonne to $160/tonne;
- the fee for disposal of regulated material with refuse (i.e. asphalt roofing, yard and garden waste, glass, scrap metal, wood and blue bag recyclables) increases by $5/tonne to $160/tonne;
- the disposal fee for inadequately secured loads will increase by $5/tonne to $160 per tonne, however the minimum charge for an inadequately secured load will decrease from $20 to $10;
- the fee for recyclable clean asphalt shingles decrease by $8/tonne to $82/tonne; and;
- the fee for mattresses and box springs increase by $1/unit to $6/unit.
The amended municipal solid waste management bylaw will be posted at www.rdno.ca as of Wednesday.