News

Apartment fire forces residents out

It may never be known what sparked the fire which forced residents of an apartment building out early Monday morning.

Approximately seven tenants of the Royal Apartments were forced from their home Monday at 4 a.m. when a fire broke out in the Mission Hill building – in the 3400 block of 21st Avenue.

"It appears to have started in a storage area, in a crawlspace," said Vernon Fire Rescue deputy fire chief Jack Blair.

"Fortunately one of the tenants had awoke to the smell of smoke and banged on a few doors and got everybody out."

Firefighters managed to contain the damage to the storage area, but gas and power was shut off and residents have yet to be allowed to re-enter.

Not all of the approximately 17 units in the building are believed to have been occupied.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
Kettle campaign needs influx of support
Skilled labour dominates budget talk
 
Australian woman arrested in deaths of 8 children
 
Theatre Review: Caravan’s winter offering is a breath of fresh air
Site C dam construction to start next summer
 
MLA sues political opponent for incident at 2013 all candidates forum
 
Hydro power switched on in the Iskut area

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.