News

Fire destroys BX shed

A legal, controlled burn got away from a resident and kept the BX-Swan Lake Fire Department busy for several hours Saturday afternoon.

The resident had been doing some burning at some property on Hitchcock Road, and watched as his pile had burned down to almost nothing.

“He left for only 15 minutes to go and feed his horse and something in that pile stirred up,” said fire chief Bill Wacey.

“He thought the fire was out.”

The resulting fire destroyed a dilapidated old storage shed on the property, as well as eight 60-feet high pine trees.

Eighteen volunteer firefighters from the BX department were joined by three from the Silver Star department and one from Armstrong, who happened to be in the area.

“We needed everyone,” said Wacey, of fighting the blaze for close to three hours.

There were no injuries in the incident.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

VIDEO: Port partners looking to a bright future in Prince Rupert
 
MISSING: 22-year-old Bryan Seaton from Castlegar
 
RDCK backs recycling alternative
Missing Andrew Evans
 
Oliver sees hotel as key to economic prosperity
 
Give peace department a chance, MP says
Burn Fund Centre breaks ground
 
MLAs shake fingers in quake exercise
 
Cranbrook Habitat project receives major local contribution

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.