News

Shed destroyed by fire

One spark is all it took to burn a structure full of cedar shakes to the ground Thursday.

A storage shed in the 8400 block of Silver Star Road (past the Foothills) was fully involved when firefighters arrived on scene, after receiving the call at 2:30 p.m.

BX-Swan Lake Fire Chief Bill Wacey says the blaze was accidental.

"A gentleman was attempting to start a generator and something sparked," said Wacey, noting that the man got out of the shed safely.

The 14-by-14 foot shed housed cedar shakes, for roofing, and also contained another concerning ignition source.

"We had a couple of containers full of fuel, an oil and gas mixture, which created a bit of issues," said Wacey.

Firefighters were unable to save the shed, now a pile of charred remains, but contained the blaze from spreading to the nearby home and other storage facilities on site.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Emission limits set for B.C. LNG producers
 
Family of B.C. man shot by police slams RCMP
 
West Kootenay/Boundary candidate numbers up slightly over 2011
UPDATED: Simushir arrives at Prince Rupert container port
 
Liking imports pays off
 
Prince Rupert superintendent discusses a new school year in a very changed district
Prince Rupert Rampage 2011/2012 season schedule released
 
VIDEO: Port partners looking to a bright future in Prince Rupert
 
Operation Popcorn thanks transplant staff

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.