Vernon Morning Star

Shed destroyed by fire

One spark is all it took to burn a structure full of cedar shakes to the ground Thursday.

A storage shed in the 8400 block of Silver Star Road (past the Foothills) was fully involved when firefighters arrived on scene, after receiving the call at 2:30 p.m.

BX-Swan Lake Fire Chief Bill Wacey says the blaze was accidental.

"A gentleman was attempting to start a generator and something sparked," said Wacey, noting that the man got out of the shed safely.

The 14-by-14 foot shed housed cedar shakes, for roofing, and also contained another concerning ignition source.

"We had a couple of containers full of fuel, an oil and gas mixture, which created a bit of issues," said Wacey.

Firefighters were unable to save the shed, now a pile of charred remains, but contained the blaze from spreading to the nearby home and other storage facilities on site.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Election 2014: Election debate turns to sprawl
 
A long, lonely fight for democracy
 
Election 2014: Surrey school candidates debate education
City streamlines festival grant process
 
Two badly hurt while helping stranded driver
 
Plywood homeless cabins dismantled by city
Election 2014: Bob Long seeking sixth term on Langley Township council
 
Police hoping to find rightful owners
 
Car crashes into Original Applewood Motors showroom in Langley

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.