News

Weekend blaze destroys Coldstream hot tub

Coldstream and Lavington firefighters extinguished a fire that started from a hot tub on Aberdeen Road Saturday afternoon. - submitted photo
Coldstream and Lavington firefighters extinguished a fire that started from a hot tub on Aberdeen Road Saturday afternoon.
— image credit: submitted photo

A Coldstream family’s home was saved despite their hot tub going up in flames Saturday.

Firefighters from both Coldstream and Lavington were called out to the blaze around 1:30 p.m. Saturday at 9300 Aberdeen Road.

The fire started from a hot tub next to the home and is believed to be electrical or mechanical in nature as it was sparked near the base of the tub where the pumping system and motor is.

“We managed to protect a large, heavy timber building where a family resided and there was a tenant on the other side,” said Shane Code, Coldstream fire chief.

“Very fortunate...we were lucky.”

Firefighters just happened to be on hand at the hall that day and with the home being just a kilometre from the hall, firefighters had the blaze under control within 10 minutes of notification.

“The public notified quickly via 911 and coming down to the hall themselves,” said Code. “We responded in minutes due to members being at the hall.”

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.