News

Snowfall warning in effect

Brent Campeau and Dave Fortin, of Black and McDonald, clear the walkway in front of the emergency department at Vernon Jubilee Hospital during Monday
Brent Campeau and Dave Fortin, of Black and McDonald, clear the walkway in front of the emergency department at Vernon Jubilee Hospital during Monday's snowstorm.
— image credit: Jennifer Smith/Morning Star

UPDATE: 7:45 A.M. TUESDAY

Another snow warning has been issued for Vernon and the North Okanagan.

Environment Canada says snow will begin Tuesday morning, with the region receiving about five centimetres.

The snow will end  late this evening, then become cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Snowfall of about five centimetres is forecast.

For Wednesday, it will be mainly cloudy with a 40 per cent chance of flurries or rain showers early in the morning. There's a 60 percent chance of flurries in the evening.

***********************************************************************************

The snow isn't letting up in the North Okanagan, where a snowfall warning has been issued.

Environment Canada has issued the warning across the Okanagan, including Vernon, as the snow is expected to accumulate to 10-15 cms today. The snowfall is expected to ease up to a few flurries late this afternoon.

Meanwhile Tuesday's forecast calls for more snow, beginning near noon, amounting to another five to 10 centimetres.

But above freezing temperatures on Wednesday could see much of the white stuff disappear as the forecast calls for rain.

Until then, motorists and pedestrians are urged to take caution on the roads and sidewalks.

Crews are facing difficulties keeping up with clearing the snow.

Up at Vernon Jubilee Hospital, service providers are pitching in to try and keep the sidewalks and entrances cleared for patients.

"We usually hire a snow removal crew but because of the severe weather all hands are on deck today," said Dave Fortin with Black and McDonald, the company which provides facilities maintenance at VJH.

A WestJet airplane bound for Edmonton was halted when the nose wheel of the aircraft slid off the terminal apron at Kelowna International Airport Monday morning.

No one was injured but the passengers had to disembark from the plane, which will now undergo a mechanical review.

Airport officials say there have been intermittent closures of the runway due to heavy snowfall and limited visibility this morning, which has caused flights to be delayed or cancelled.

Passengers flying out of Kelowna International Airport are asked to check the status of their flights at ylw.kelowna.ca.

— with files from Kelowna Capital News

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Legal aid gets rare boost for family cases
 
McNeal cards Spall men’s title
 
Bench property sold
Human skeleton unearthed in Metlakatla during home renovations
 
Cannery Brewing on the move
 
New executive in place at Penticton Legion

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 28 edition online now. Browse the archives.