News

Fire closes family restaurant

An electrical fire Sunday has closed Rosalinda
An electrical fire Sunday has closed Rosalinda's Filipino Kitchen in downtown Vernon.
— image credit: Jennifer Smith/Morning Star

A downtown Vernon restaurant is turning customers away after a fire broke out Sunday.

Rosalinda's Filipino Kitchen is currently closed after an electrical fire broke out inside the restaurant.

"The restaurant was open at the time," said Vernon Fire Rescue deputy chief Lawrie Skolrood.

The fire, which broke out shortly before 1 p.m., originated from an electrical panel, where a BC Hydro smart meter was located.

"It was pretty much contained to where the meters are," said Skolrood, adding that the owner had the blaze extinguished before firefighters were on scene.

The owner, who runs the restaurant with his wife and employs three of his daughters, along with five other staff members, expects the restaurant could be closed for two to five weeks.

See Wednesday's issue of The Morning Star for more details on the fire.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Surgical waits average five months in B.C.
 
Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Snowfall keeps school buses parked and causes power outages
Robbery, assault land Penticton man in jail
 
Blanket drive warming up the community
 
SOWINS wants everyone to share the spirit of giving
Breakfast program begins at Port Edward Elementary
 
Hikers rescued from Mount Hays
 
New rules coming for local election spending

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 26 edition online now. Browse the archives.