Community benefits from Greater Vernon Winter Games legacy
Long after the last lap around the ice and exhilaration of soaring down the slopes, the Greater Vernon 2012 B.C. Winter Games live on.
More than $117,000 in legacy funds were awarded to 21 sports, school and cultural groups during a special ceremony at VantageOne Centre Friday.
“We are really pleased to see so many community groups benefit from the legacy fund,” said Akbal Mund, Greater Vernon Winter Games Society president.
“The Greater Vernon 2012 B.C. Winter Games was a huge community success story; from more than 2,200 volunteers who stepped up last year, to the incredible support from the business community, and now to share the legacy funds. It feels great to be able to support the community and recognize those efforts of all.”
The legacy fund consists of profits from souvenir sales, operational savings in the Games budget, surplus equipment and interest earned.
Of the legacy funds, 75 per cent is designated for projects that will support the growth of sports in the community while the remaining 25 per cent is going to non-sport organizations.
In addition to this funding, $33,000 worth of sports equipment purchased for the Games has been left in the community. There was also substantial volunteer training, including 85 individuals who completed the World Host program.
“We are seeing in these legacy investments more opportunities for citizens of Greater Vernon which will last long into the future,” said Eric Foster, Vernon-Monashee MLA.
“Some of these sport investments made here will no doubt generate our next B.C. Winter Games athletes.”
The recipients of the legacy funds are:
n North Okanagan Sports Society: $41,000 for a sports facility infrastructure plan and implementation.
n Vernon Figure Skating Club: $5,263 for a sound system and installation.
n Vernon Curling Club: $800 for a video camera and $3,660 for junior program equipment, including brooms, shoes and stabilizers.
n Vernon Ringette Association: $3,500 for equipment, including helmets.
n Vernon Freestyle Club: $4,500 for trampolines.
n Sovereign Lake Nordic Club: $2,060 for equipment and $2,000 for eight radios.
n Monashee Archers: $2,000 for targets and target butts.
n Vernon Speed Skating Club: $8,392 for equipment, including skates, a sharpening jig and a mobilaper.
n Vernon Ski Club: $4,000 timing equipment.
n Silver Star Mountain Resort: $5,000 for the elementary school learn-to-ski program.
n Greater Vernon Parks and Recreation.: $5,000 for food warmers.
n Vernon Public Art Gallery: $6,500 for three drop-down banners on the parkade.
n Hub Arts Collective: $1,600 lighting.
n Caetani Cultural Centre: $5,000 for a photography project, including cameras and mounting costs.
n Gallery Vertigo: $2,500 for a training workshop for high school students, and materials.
n Kalamalka Highlanders Pipe Band: $1,000 for hosting the Okanagan International Tattoo.
n Vernon Community Arts Center: $5,400 for a mural project, materials, and equipment.
n Okanagan Indian Band: $2,000 for a cultural event.
n Alexis Park Elementary School: $2,000 for sports equipment.
n Harwood Elementary School: $2,000 for a playground upgrade.
n BX Elementary School: $2,000 for a playground upgrade.