News

Enderby barn blaze prompts warning

Enderby residents are being warned about spring burning after a barn went up in flames.

Firefighters responded to a barn fire in the 200 block of Brash Allen Road Monday at about 4 p.m.

“It was fully involved when we got there,” said Kevin Alstad, fire chief.

The incident occurred when the property owner was burning grass and the fire got out of control and converged on the barn, which was about 40 feet long and 15 feet wide.

“The barn was full of hay and away she went,” said Alstad of the blaze.

A neighbour used a loader to break up the hay so the firefighters could access the fire and bring it under control.

The Enderby Fire Department has dealt with a few grass fires in recent days.

“It’s getting pretty dry out there. Make sure you have water, rakes and some help if you’re going to do any burning,” said Alstad.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Snow to Surf race seeks volunteers, youth teams
 
Wrestlers raising money for YANA
 
Families enjoy guy show, hatchery open house
Fire burns old high school library in Alberni
 
Lambrick Park student makes curling Team BC
 
Lions, Gryphons will duel for city soccer championship
Sooke STARRs shine brightly
 
STARR runners shine in spite of fog
 
Sooke beat Fusion in Richmond

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.