News

Blaze scorches books

It’s not known if mischief was the motive for a Lavington fire.

At about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Lavington Fire Department received a report of a dumpster fire at Lavington Way and School Road, but it actually turned out to be a pile of burning books on the road.

“It was extinguished by the time we got there,” said Mike Fiset, fire chief.

“It was sitting there smouldering. It burned itself out.”

It’s not known where the books came from.

Firefighters dumped some water on the debris just to make sure the flames were completely out.

“There was no danger of the fire spreading,” said Fisit, who understands why a resident reported the blaze.

“It’s getting hot and dry out there and people are being pretty cautious.”

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
 
Missing Vernon teen possibly in Alberta
Locals purchase Montane Terraces
 
Jack Talstra made Freeman of the City of Terrace
 
Terrace man is missing
Robots battle it out for supremacy: Combatants came from around the West Kootenay
 
Donation supports literacy
 
Nelson Chamber’s CP station renovation receives more funding

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.