Man survives electrocution

A Spallumcheen resident has survived electrocution.

On Sunday afternoon, a man in his 20s went to check an irrigation pump along a creek on Schubert Road. With his two dogs, the man jumped into the water and they were hit by an electrical current. Because the dogs had jumped he realized what was happening and turned his body enough to grab a root and pull himself out.

“Luckily, he was able to get out of the water,” said Ian Cummings, Armstrong-Spallumcheen fire chief.

His wife soon found him and called for emergency personnel.

The man was taken by air to Kelowna General Hospital where he was released a few hours later with burns and bruises.

“He was extremely lucky,” said Cummings.

Both dogs died as a result of their injuries.

“That’s a tragedy but it could have been much worse,” said Cummings.