Denim and bling decorated a Spallumcheen business Wednesday.
Farmstrong Cider was filled with chamber members and guests all decked out in their finest ‘Blue Jeans and Bling’ Wednesday night, May 4, as the Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce hosted its 2022 Community Excellence Awards.
Board and staff welcomed business and community members to the event hosted by emcee Sean Newton and sponsored by Community Futures North Okanagan.
Awards in 10 categories were given out to businesses, organizations and individuals nominated by their peers and the community. This year again featured awards designed and produced by Final Touch in Armstrong.
The following were recognized (winners in bold):
• Rising Star: Bloom Flower Festival (sponsored by Rossworn Henderson LLP);
• Micro Business of the Year: Chris Heidt – Tekamar Mortgages (sponsored by VantageOne Credit Union);
• Small Business of the Year: T-Mann Mechanical (sponsored by Blackwell Building Movers);
• Mid-Size Business of the Year: Armadillo Trailer Mfg (sponsored by Community Futures North Okanagan);
• Corporate Business of the Year: Askew’s Foods (sponsored by Hub International);
• Employee of the Year: Nancy Gray – Rancho Vignola and Brett Zak – OK Tire Armstrong (sponsored by Shepherd’s Home Hardware & Outdoor Living Centre);
• Revitalization & Innovation: Kin RV Park (sponsored by Hytec);
• Hospitality & Tourism: Blue Grass Farms B&B & Events (sponsored by the Township of Spallumcheen);
• Organization of the Year: Armstrong & District Curling Club (sponsored by Okanagan Restoration);
• Volunteer of the Year: Linda Fisher (sponsored by the City of Armstrong).
“We received some great nominations this year. It was evident that for some, a lot of consideration and thought went into putting the nomination together,” said chamber board vice-president Cheryl Hood. “A record number of nominations – more than 100 – were received including a few from residents of outside Armstrong Spallumcheen that wanted to recognize local businesses.”
Each award winner also received a bountiful gift basket compliments of Rancho Vignola.
The Armstrong Spallumcheen Fire Department was also recognized with a ‘President’s Choice Award’ for its contributions to the community and the region during the unprecedented wildfire season in 2021.
“It was noted that the Armstrong Spallumcheen Fire Department provides support to many in the community,” said Newton, also the chamber board president. “In addition, their volunteers and staff work and live within our boundaries and participate locally whenever they can.”
After the awards presentation, nominees, sponsors, and guests gathered for further networking including a fire show by Kinshira Performance Troup, and a door prize draw with the lucky winner taking home a ‘2 Night Couples Retreat’ package for Sparkling Hill Resort.
“We are so thankful to have the support of our members and local businesses,” said Patti Noonan, chamber executive director. “We could not present an event like this without their support. It is also important to recognize the efforts of the board, staff and volunteers who worked to make this a fun networking event.”
Event sponsors were: Community Futures North Okanagan, Rancho Vignola, Farmstrong Cider Co., Final Touch, Bloom Flower Festival, The Higher Path, Armstrong Wine & Brew, Country West Supply, The Hamlets, Village Cheese Co. and Seed Computers.
Planning is already underway for the 2023 edition of the awards.
Want to support local journalism? Make a donation here.