Another record number of finalists have been announced for the Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce’s Community Excellence Awards May 13.
Seventy-four businesses, organizations and volunteers were nominated in 10 categories, many with more than one nomination received.
“We will be recognizing our community super heroes, local businesses and community members that have demonstrated a pursuit for excellence in service and innovation,” said Fran Stecyk, chamber president.
“The awards also promote responsible leadership, mentoring and volunteerism within the community.”
The nominees are:
* Chris Heidt – Tekamar Mortgages Rising Star Award: Curriebird Yoga Studio; Penny’s Pit Stop; Rockin’ Shoe Ranch; Roland Bouchard Electric; Solar on the Go
* VantageOne Credit Union Micro Business of the Year: By the Numbers Bookkeeping; Cheryl Heinz Hair Dressing; DIY Chix; Fresh Valley Farms; Sunridge Designs; Tekamar Mortgages – Chris Heidt; The Maple B&B; Town Centre Drycleaner
* Blackwell Building Movers Small Business of the Year: Armstrong Fitbody Boot Camp; Armstrong Physiotherapy; Country Comfort Esthetics; Final Touch; Fortune Creek Kennels; Grassroots Health Hut; NexGen Hearing; Patricia Paterson CPA; Sea Stars Kids Boutique; Senad Sijercic – Notary; The Boutique; The Brown Derby Café; The Twisted Purl; The Wild Oak Café &Community Market; Your Dollar Store with More – Armstrong
* Community Futures North Okanagan Mid Size Business of the Year: Armstrong Collision; Country West Supply; Fortune Creek Pharmacy; Maddocks Construction; Specialty Steel &Fabricators
*Hub International Barton Insurance Corporate Business of the Year: Askews Foods; Fieldstone Organics; Kingfisher Boats; Rhinocorp Composite Solutions; Rossworn Henderson LLP; Woodtone (Formerly Synergy)
* Shepherds Home Hardware &Outdoor Living Centre Employee of the Year: Christina Elliot – The Wild Oak Café &Community Market; Deborah Fox – Kohler – A Divison of Hytec; Diane Strohm – Armstrong Veterinary Clinic; Haylee – Station Diner; Kirstie Van Diest – Armstrong A&W; Linda Melin – Askews Foods; Sherry McFarlane – Armstrong Spallumcheen Museum &Art Gallery; Tara Horton – The Brown Derby Café
* Hytec – A Division of Kohler Revitalization and Innovation Award: Armstrong Seniors Activity Centre; Bellman Specialty Produce; Fieldstone Organics; Gambrinus Malting; Great West Equipment; Okanagan Regional Library – Armstrong; Woodtone (Formerly Synergy)
* Township of Spallumcheen Hospitality and Tourism Award: Armstrong Farmers’ Market; Armstrong Spallumcheen Trails Society; Blue Hills Lavender; Caravan Farm Theatre; Kin RV Park; North Okanagan Shuswap Barn Quilt Trail Project; The Brown Derby Café; The Wild Oak Café &Community Market
* Okanagan Restoration Services Organization of the Year: Armstrong Curling Club; Armstrong Lions Club; Armstrong Spallumcheen Trails Society; Royal Canadian Legion Branch #35; SPARC; The Armstrong Ladies Club
* City of Armstrong Volunteer of the Year: Jamie Frazer; Ken Brandle; Marg Sidney; Sean Newton; Susan Wilson
“These awards are an opportunity for the community to come together and celebrate the dynamic and diverse group of people who make an important contribution to the quality of life Armstrong and Spallumcheen.” said Patti Noonan, executive director.
“We are very pleased with the record number of overall entries this year, as well as the variety of businesses and the thought put into many of the submissions. We have received an increased number of industrial businesses this year too.”
In addition to a trophy designed by Final Touch, each winner will receive a gift basket sponsored by Lavina Estate Vineyard, Bella Stella Cheese, Terroir Cheese, and The Village Cheese Co.
Door open at the Centennial Theatre at 6 p.m. with a new member showcase, light refreshments and no host bar. The show begins at 7 p.m. featuring emcees Sean Newton and Phil Hughes as well as performances by Devana DeMille.
The after-party will feature entertainment, karaoke, door prize draws, small bites from local restaurants, caterers and food producers.
A limited number of tickets for the gala are available at $25 per person by calling 546-8155, at the Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce, Chocoliro Finest Chocolate, board member or e-mailing email@example.com.