FIRE SMART: Have a safe Halloween

Vernon Fire Rescue Services would like to pass on some of the top fire safety tips

With Halloween only a few days away, Vernon Fire Rescue Services would like to pass on some of the top fire safety tips that can keep you safe on Halloween night.

The best costumes are light-coloured or bright and reflective.

Keep costumes short to avoid tripping and falling. Minimize the risk of contact with candles or other ignition sources by avoiding baggy pants, loose frills or billowing skirts.

Teach children to stop, drop and roll should their clothing catch fire. Stop immediately, drop to the ground and cover your face with your hands and roll over to extinguish the flames.

Always carry a flashlight with you as you accompany your children as they trick-or-treat. Make sure you have a cell phone and that everyone knows to call 911 in an emergency.

Battery-powered candles, lights or glow sticks are safe to use to light up your carved pumpkins and other decorations. Avoid using real candles as they can start a fire that can ruin your Halloween celebrations.

If you decide to use real candles, they must be kept well away from children and pets or anything that can burn, such as curtains. Blow out all candles before leaving the room. Keep any carved pumpkins lit with real candles away from the front door as children in flowing costumes may brush by them.

Keep any matches, lighters or utility lighters out of sight and reach of children.

Ensure electrical outlets are not overloaded with holiday lighting or special effects.

Test your smoke alarms to make sure they work. In the event a fire starts in your home, you need to know right away.

Lawrie Skolrood is a deputy fire chief with Vernon Fire Rescue Services.