There are plenty of smiles from a Vernon dentist office.
Dr. Karl Denk’s office, in a Vernon heritage home located at 2301-32nd Avenue, received council approval of a heritage restoration grant of $5,000 to assist with installing new siding and window trim and associated restoration work on the exterior of the building.
Located on a prominent corner of Pleasant Valley Road, the Mohr house is Vernon’s remaining example of a high-style Second Empire residence. It is a one-and-a-half storey house with a mansard roof and dormer windows.
Built in 1893, the form of the building is rectangular with a dominant bay with a mansard roof and two dormers. A recessed bay contains a single dormer window. Other Second Empire design details include the shallow roof overhang, pairs of eaves brackets and the round- headed gables on the dormer windows.
The house is clad in drop siding and a variety of decorative boards, including panels of vertical bevelled siding. There are several bay windows with flat roofs.
The Second Empire style became the official style for federal buildings in Canada in the 1870- 1880s.
The house is also notable for its association with its original owner, C. E. Mohr, who had migrated from Ontario around 1891.
Mohr was a wood turner at Smith and Clerin’s Sawmill at the time of the building’s construction. It is believed Mohr built the house himself. By 1898, the Vernon Directory identified him as a carpenter. The house has had many subsequent owners.
The house, rehabilitated into a dentist office, now has its main entry facing Pleasant Valley Road.
In 2012, the city presented a heritage plaque, in recognition of the heritage significance of the building.
Vernon City Council has established, and provides, funds for the Heritage Restoration Grant Program. The program applies to properties listed on the Vernon Heritage Register in order to assist owners with the cost of restoring the exterior, foundations and roof structures of heritage buildings.