MP REPORT: One week in Ottawa

Colin Mayes provides details on schedule while in the nation's capital

Often, I am asked questions on government policies/issues pertaining to articles appearing in various newspapers.  There are many more issues we work on other than those you see on the front pages of national papers.

That being said, I thought it would be interesting to tell you about my work as your MP during the week of Nov. 25.  You will see from the following that I deal with a broad spectrum of issues as well as daily parliamentary functions.

Monday morning at 8:30 a.m., I had three separate meetings, all ending at 10:45 a.m.  At 11 a.m., I met with representatives from the Canadian Bankers Association. From 1 to 2 p.m., I was on House duty, then from  2 to 3 p.m., I was at Question Period.  As a member of the ethics committee, I attended an ethics pre-committee meeting from 3 to 5:30 p.m.

On Tuesday morning, I had breakfast with Richard Bass, author of Israel in the World Relations, at 7:30 a.m., followed by an ethics committee meeting from 8:45 to 10:45 a.m.  At 11 a.m., I met with representatives from the Canadian Nurses Association, followed by a meeting with Dauna Kennedy Grant, from the Vernon Public Art Gallery, who was visiting Ottawa.  From noon until 1:30 p.m., I attended a luncheon with the president  of Spectra Energy.

That afternoon, as a member of the human resources committee, I attended a pre-committee at 1:30 p.m., followed by QP at 2 p.m. and then a HUMA meeting from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. At 6 p.m., I went back to the chamber for votes and later attended the Chicken Farmers of Canada reception until 9 p.m.

Wednesday morning commenced with the Parliamentary Prayer Group gathering at 7:15 a.m., followed by a B.C. caucus meeting at 8:15 a.m.

From 9:30 a.m. until noon, I attended a national caucus meeting followed by the Health Research Council luncheon until 1:30 p.m.

From 2 to 3 p.m., I attended QP and then an ethics pre-committee meeting until 3:30 p.m. From 3:30 to 6:30 p.m., I was on House duty. After, I attended the My Canada (youth group) reception until 9:30 p.m.

On Thursday, from 8:45 until 10:45 a.m., I attended an ethics committee meeting, then House duty from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. From 2 to 3 p.m., I was at QP and then from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., I was at HUMA and then back to the chamber for House duty until 7 p.m.

Early Friday morning, I left Ottawa for the riding and arrived at the Vernon office by 3 p.m., where I spent some time going over my schedule with my staff, answering letters, e-mails and phone calls, then drove home and later attended a riding event.

On Saturday, I spent some quality time with my family and early Sunday morning, I got on a flight back to Ottawa.

I arrived in Ottawa at 7 p.m.

As you can see, a member of Parliament’s day is very diverse.