The Regional District of North Okanagan is seeking individuals interested in participating in the regional solid waste advisory working group.
The group will play a role in reviewing the existing solid waste management plan and provide input as part of the 2017 SWMP Update.
The RSWAWG will consist of up to 17 voting members, all of whom will be selected by the board through an application process and will represent a diverse cross-section of the region. The board will select applicants from the following sectors for representation on the RSWAWG:
– Private sector waste management industry service providers;
– Private sector solid waste facility representatives;
– Non-profit group(s) with an interest in solid waste management (e.g. reuse organization);
– Large institutional solid waste generator(s);
– Business representatives, including one focused on the 3Rs;
– Members at large from the community (community association, youth, seniors);
– Members representing both urban and rural areas/interests.
Members of the RSWAWG will be appointed for an initial one-year term which is expected to commence in May. It is anticipated that meetings will be conducted at least every two months, or at the call of the chair.
The RSWAWG will conclude its work upon approval of the 2017 SWMP Update by the Minister of Environment, however they may be asked to commit for up to an additional three years in a SWMP implementation monitoring capacity.
Some of the solid waste management priorities to address during the SWMP update include mandatory curbside garbage collection, organics collection, potential expansion of the Greater Vernon landfill and the need to generate revenue to support the regional waste management system.
The deadline for submission of applications is April 21.
The RSWAWG application form is available at www.rdno.ca. Copies are also available at the RDNO office.