Ghosts and goblins will soon be making the rounds and that means safety is of critical importance.
The Vernon Fire Department is providing a number of tips to ensure trick-or-treaters are safe during Halloween Oct. 31.
“Minimize the risk of contact with candles or other ignition sources by avoiding baggy pants, loose frills or billowing skirts,” said Lawrie Skolrood, deputy fire chief.
“Should clothing catch fire, stop immediately, drop to the ground and cover face with hands and roll over and over to extinguish the flames.”
Always carry a flashlight with as you accompany your children as they trick or treat. Make sure you have a cell phone and that everyone knows to call 911 in an emergency.
Battery-powered candles, lights or glow sticks are safe to use to light up your carved pumpkins and other decorations.
Avoid using real candles as they can start a fire that can ruin your Halloween celebrations.
“If you decide to use real candles, they must be kept well away from children and pets or anything that can burn, such as curtains,” said Skolrood.
“Blow out all candles before leaving the room. Keep any carved pumpkins lit with real candles away from the front door as children in flowing costumes may brush by them.”
Keep any matches, lighters or utility lighters out of sight and reach of children.
Ensure electrical outlets are not overloaded with holiday lighting or special effects.