Britain’s Prince Philip admitted to hospital with infection

He’s suffered a blocked coronary artery, severe bladder infection but has been generally healthy

Prince Philip, the 96-year old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been admitted to a hospital for treatment of an infection and did not attend the Queen’s Speech in Parliament.

Buckingham Palace said Philip was admitted as a precautionary measure and is in good spirits. He was said to be out of bed on Wednesday.

The palace said Philip was driven to the hospital by private car Tuesday evening on the advice of a physician. His infection was related to a pre-existing condition which was not disclosed.

The queen, 91, maintained her official schedule, giving a speech outlining the government’s legislative plan in Parliament, and planned to attend the Royal Ascot horse races in the afternoon.

Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, said in May he was cutting down his public appearances and would not take on new charity roles.

He has suffered a blocked coronary artery and a severe bladder infection in recent years but has been in generally good health.

He still attends summer garden parties with the queen, hosting more than 2,000 guests at a time, and has maintained his presence at important ceremonial events, including the Trooping the Color procession earlier in June.

The palace said Philip is being treated at the King Edward VII Hospital in London.

He seemed fine Tuesday when he attended Royal Ascot with the queen and other senior members of the royal family.

The queen and Philip both suffered from severe cases of the flu at Christmas but have recovered.

The Associated Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Illness numbers grow in Interior Health

GI and RI illnesses reported in Vernon, Lake Country, Kelowna, Penticton and Castlegar

Immunization clinics this week

Meningococcal outbreak prompts vaccines across Okanagan

Cyclist struck in morning crash

Scene cleared at Highway 6 and 27th Street

Wintry weather to roll into Southern Interior

The Southern Interior is expected to get a snowstorm followed by freezing temperatures.

Update: Missing man found safe

Blake Doyle was last seen Dec. 2

Fire crews investigating oil sheen on Penticton Creek

Fire crews are working to contain the oil from spreading

Kamloops man cuffed after running from police

Kamloops RCMP say a suspect was arrested after running from police

Charges for the attempted murder of an Oliver man dropped

Afshin Maleki Ighani was accused of shooting an Oliver man in April.

UPDATE: Grizzly bear trophy hunting over in B.C.

Now only Indigenous people can hunt bears for meat

Star Blue Jays announced for Vancouver ‘Winter Tour’ event in January

Toronto’s pro baseball team heads west for two-day event

UPDATE: ‘Multiple fatalities’ as Amtrak derails over the I-5 in Washington State

13 cars jumped the tracks as train made its first voyage between Seattle and Portland

UPDATE: Sicamous man back in custody

Sheldon Odd arrested, facing court date

Mental effects of wildfire still linger in Fort McMurray

‘Resilient, but tired:’ Mental effects of wildfire lingering in Fort McMurray

Most Read