It may never be known what sparked the fire which forced residents of an apartment building out early Monday morning.
Approximately seven tenants of the Royal Apartments were forced from their home Monday at 4 a.m. when a fire broke out in the Mission Hill building – in the 3400 block of 21st Avenue.
“It appears to have started in a storage area, in a crawlspace,” said Vernon Fire Rescue deputy fire chief Jack Blair.
“Fortunately one of the tenants had awoke to the smell of smoke and banged on a few doors and got everybody out.”
Firefighters managed to contain the damage to the storage area, but gas and power was shut off and residents have yet to be allowed to re-enter.
Not all of the approximately 17 units in the building are believed to have been occupied.