Moms know best.
When a Lake Country mother’s child asked her Sunday at around 9:15 a.m. why steam was coming out of the family’s detached garage and workshop, she went to investigate.
The mom quickly determined it wasn’t steam, but smoke from a fire inside the structure, and called the Lake Country Fire Department.
“As we were responding to the call, we could tell there was a substantial working fire going,” said Lake Country assistant fire chief Brent Penner of the fire that occurred at a property on Bond Road, backing onto the Davidson Road Elementary School.
“We called in another station because we thought the fire might have spread to a residence but that wasn’t the case.”
The fire was contained to the garage structure.
Firefighters couldn’t save what was inside the outbuilding, which included a snowmobile, lots of tools – the husband is a millwright – and family possessions which had been stored in a large number of boxes as the family was doing work on the inside of their main residence.
A trailer containing tools, ATVs and snowmobiles parked right beside the garage was saved by the firemen, as were two RVs on the property.
There was no damage to the main residence, and there were no injuries.
Penner said the fire will go down likely as accidental in nature.
“The exact cause, we have not been able to determine,” he said.
“We have some good ideas of what caused it and that’s why we’ll say it’s likely accidental.”
There is insurance and Penner believes the family will have a good portion of what they lost covered.