Blaze scorches books

Lavington firefighters respond to a pile of burning books

It’s not known if mischief was the motive for a Lavington fire.

At about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Lavington Fire Department received a report of a dumpster fire at Lavington Way and School Road, but it actually turned out to be a pile of burning books on the road.

“It was extinguished by the time we got there,” said Mike Fiset, fire chief.

“It was sitting there smouldering. It burned itself out.”

It’s not known where the books came from.

Firefighters dumped some water on the debris just to make sure the flames were completely out.

“There was no danger of the fire spreading,” said Fisit, who understands why a resident reported the blaze.

“It’s getting hot and dry out there and people are being pretty cautious.”