Just minutes after arriving on scene, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a blaze in the Polson Park Motel Thursday.
Heavy black smoke could be seen coming from the two-story building on Highway 97 around noon.
“When crews arrived they discovered that smoke was coming from the laundry room area,” said Christy Poirier, City of Vernon communications manager. “The fire was attacked and very quickly extinguished.”
The fire investigation is complete and it was confirmed the fire started in a dryer. The fire is deemed accidental in nature.
An occupant on the second floor called in the fire as black smoke was coming up into their unit.
“When you have a fire like this, there’s the potential for it expanding quickly and becomming a larger event.”
The building is run by Turning Points Collaborative Society.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters are on scene at Polson Park Motel on 24th Avenue in Vernon, where smoke can be seen coming from the building. Firefighters appear to be tackling the rear of the motel. @VernonNews pic.twitter.com/6Lh39GkXEp— Brendan Shykora (@brendanshykora) June 29, 2023