Skip to content

UPDATE: Dryer fire extinguished at Vernon’s Polson Motel

Building evacuated as heavy black smoke coming from building
A fire at the Polson Park Motel was promptly extinguished by Vernon firefighters Thursday at noon. (Brendan Shykora - Morning Star)

UPDATE 12:20 p.m.:

Just minutes after arriving on scene, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a blaze in the Polson Park Motel Thursday.

Heavy black smoke could be seen coming from the two-story building on Highway 97 around noon.

“When crews arrived they discovered that smoke was coming from the laundry room area,” said Christy Poirier, City of Vernon communications manager. “The fire was attacked and very quickly extinguished.”

The fire investigation is complete and it was confirmed the fire started in a dryer. The fire is deemed accidental in nature.

One southbound lane on the hospital hill highway is blocked off at the entrance of 24th Avenue. Acesss to 24th Avenue is restricted.

“Crews are continuing to go through the building to make sure that it is fully evacuated and make sure that it is getting properly ventilated.”

An occupant on the second floor called in the fire as black smoke was coming up into their unit.

“When you have a fire like this, there’s the potential for it expanding quickly and becomming a larger event.”

The building is run by Turning Points Collaborative Society.

No injuries were reported.


ORIGINAL 12:10 p.m.:

Heavy black smoke is coming from Vernon’s Polson Park Motel.

The two-storey accomodation has been evacuated and firefighters are on scene.

The fire is beleieved to have been started in the first floor laundry room.

Emergency crews were called at noon.

Updates will be provided as they become available.

READ MORE: Fireworks suspected in blaze that destroyed Vernon home


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

and subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Jennifer Smith

About the Author: Jennifer Smith

Vernon has always been my home, and I've been working at The Morning Star since 2004.
Read more