Candles linked to Vernon fire

Investigators say candles in a bathroom led to flames spreading and destroying a 30th Avenue home just before 6 a.m. Tuesday.

The cause of an East Hill house fire has now been determined.

Investigators say candles in a bathroom led to flames spreading and destroying a home in the 2000 block of 30th Avenue just before 6 a.m. Tuesday.

“They are something that have to be supervised and you have to make sure they are out when you are done with them,” said Lawrie Skolrood, Vernon deputy fire chief.

“Don’t leave candles unattended.”

Emergency Social Services has been providing assistance to the occupants of the home.

A woman staying in an RV on the property has also been displaced because electricity to the home and the RV were shut off during the blaze.

It’s believed the property owner has insurance on the residence but it’s not known if the occupants had tenant insurance.