An oxygen tank left on in a bedroom is believed to have helped start a fire in a top-floor unit Tuesday afternoon at the Capri Gardens apartments on 35th Avenue.
Vernon deputy fire chief Lawrie Skolrood said it’s believed the leaking oxygen found an ignition source and started smouldering in a mattress in the bedroom.
Vernon Fire Rescue Services was able to contain the blaze to the bedroom, which suffered smoke and water damage.
One of three occupants of the suite was taken to Vernon Jubilee Hospital for precaution.
The building was evacuated as crews worked on the fire. It was the second fire in the building since March.