Vernon Fire Rescue Services responded to a car fire on Anderson Way Friday, May 7, 2021. (Caitlin Clow - Morning Star)

Vernon Fire Rescue Services responded to a car fire on Anderson Way Friday, May 7, 2021. (Caitlin Clow - Morning Star)

Car fire snuffed in Vernon parking lot

The vehicle was fully engulfed upon crews’ arrival, according to Anderson Way Home Depot staff

Quick action on the part of Home Depot staff helped crews take care of a vehicle fire in a Vernon parking lot Friday.

Vernon Fire Rescue Services responded to a car that was fully engulfed in flames at the Anderson Way Home Depot around 11:30 a.m. May 7.

Three fire engines were on scene to as crews extinguished the blaze, which is believed to have been an electrical fire.

Staff told a Morning Star reporter on scene that when the fire broke out, fuel began leaking across the parking lot and towards a sewer grate. Staff rushed inside and grabbed all available spill absorbents from the shelves to soak up the fuel leak. They then configured a row of shopping carts into a perimeter to keep the public away from the scene.

A woman’s car was parked nearby the engulfed vehicle, but was moved before the fire could spread. No other vehicles or structures appeared to be damaged by the blaze.

READ MORE: Abandoned South Okanagan fruit stand fire considered suspicious

READ MORE: RCMP, neighbours save Lake Country house from fire


@VernonNews
newsroom@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

fire