Coldstream and Lavington firefighters douse a blaze in a Lakeview Drive home Saturday.

Coldstream and Lavington firefighters douse a blaze in a Lakeview Drive home Saturday.

Car sparks house fire

Lakeview Drive home in Coldstream damaged after car fire catches onto house

Fire forced an elderly Coldstream couple from their home Saturday.

The man and woman escaped the blaze unharmed, but their Lakeview Drive home sustained significant damage.

The blaze started from within a storage tent next to the home, where the owner reports he started his 1981 Mercedes.

“He had started the car and it was running very, very rough and he saw the fire start from under the right front fender,” said Shane Code, Coldstream Fire Chief.

The tent was fully engulfed by flames when crews arrived.

“It had already taken its way to the master window and was making its way into the soffits,” said Code.

Coldstream firefighters, with the help of the Lavington Fire Department, were on scene for six hours attempting to contain the blaze primarily to the roof.

“The roof is toast but we saved probably 60 per cent of the main floor.”

The residents of the home are believed to have home insurance.

Initially, fire crews were actually called out to a minor brush fire, but as they were heading to the scene and saw the thick black smoke on the ridge they knew it was something more.

“We were fairly confident it was probably more than a minor brushfire,” said Code.

There was also concern that there may have been a dog inside the home, but following a search inside there was no dog. What was thought to be the sound of a dog was actually an alarm system.