Cause of golf course fire was electrical

A fire broke out at about 11 p.m. Tuesday in the kitchen at the Vernon Golf and Country Club.

A fire that forced a local golf course to shut down temporarily was electrical.

A fire broke out at about 11 p.m. Tuesday in the kitchen at the Vernon Golf and Country Club.

The cause has been linked to a cord on a small appliance that got pinched between a table and a wall.

“It got real hot and started to arc on the table,” said Lawrie Skolrood, Vernon deputy fire chief.

“We remind people to unplug their appliances when they leave because you never know if they are energized.”

There is fire and smoke damage inside the kitchen.

“The kitchen area will be shut down for some time,” said Jack Blair, deputy fire chief.

The pro shop and the golf course reopened Wednesday afternoon. It’s not known when the clubhouse will be back in service.