Chickens lost in Spallumcheen barn fire

Suspicion has been ruled out in a fire at a Spallumcheen barn Thursday that contained free range chickens.

Suspicion has been ruled out in a fire at a Spallumcheen barn Thursday that contained free range chickens.

The call about the barn fire in the 4200 block of Wyatt Road came in to the Armstrong Spallumcheen Fire Department shortly before 6 p.m.

“The chicken barn went up in smoke and some chickens died,” said Alastair Crick, assistant fire chief with the Armstrong Spallumcheen department. “The owner was able to get a lot of the birds out of the barn, but I’m not sure of the percentage.”

The fire was contained to the barn and extinguished, with crews staying on site until around 11 p.m.

Crick was continuing his investigation into the blaze as of Friday morning.