Cigarette starts fire

It’s believed a smouldering cigarette caused a small fire in a litter receptacle in the 3300 block of 30th Avenue at 4 p.m. Monday

Smokers are being asked to butt out safely.

It’s believed a smouldering cigarette caused a small fire in a litter receptacle in the 3300 block of 30th Avenue at 4 p.m. Monday.

“We are urging people to dispose of their smoking material properly,” said Jack Blair, Vernon deputy fire chief. “Make sure they are out.”

The incident was initially reported as being a dumpster fire, which raised concerns because of a recent rash of dumpster fires.

“It wasn’t related to the other ones. It’s not in the same area,” said Blair.

On Aug. 27, firefighters responded to a recycling bin fire in the 4550 block of 31st Street. In mid-July, there were four incidents of recycling bins or items next to dumpsters being set on fire in the area of 27th Street and 45th Avenue.