Coldstream’s Monica Duncan has been diagnosed with advanced lung and liver cancer. Her family and friends are rallying behind her with a GoFundMe campaigned. (Facebook photo)

Coldstream woman’s friends, family show support

Monica Duncan starts fight Monday against advanced lung and liver cancer

Monica Duncan’s friends and family are rallying around the Coldstream woman.

Duncan, with her husband Mark Holmes beside her, was diagnosed in late June with advanced lung and liver cancer.

A GoFundMe campaign was started and, as of 2 p.m. Sunday, had raised more than half of the goal of $50,000 ($25,699).

“They are fighting this with everything they have got, and it’s stretching them beyond their capabilities,” said Pam Shatford, who helped organize the campaign.

Duncan’s treatment, which is needed to extend her life, consists of 17 cycles of immunotherapy treatments at $8,000 each. The first is slated for Monday, July 27.

Her oncologist has secured 60 per cent of the funds needed, and the GoFundMe campaign is trying to secure the other 40 per cent. Campaign organizers have been in touch with countless compassionate life societies asking for funding assistance and will continue to seek these out.

Duncan is a loving wife, mom, stepmother and grandmother, a beloved stylist to many, especially among Vernon’s senior community, and is friends to everybody she meets.

“Her creativity has always been a source of wonder; her inner beauty shines through with everything she does,” said Shatford. “Her passion for life is only exceeded by her kindness to others, and you’ll never forget her big beautiful smile.”

Donations to the fund can be made here.

READ MORE: Expectations exceeded in first year of Vernon supportive housing project



roger@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Cancerfundraising

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vernon Vipers looking to build on strong finish

BC Hockey League office looks at the “Next Generation” of Vipers’ squads

West Kelowna man found dead in van on Vernon road

Foul play is not suspected in death of 39-year-old found Saturday, Aug. 1

Coldstream, Vernon golfers crack top-100 at B.C. Amateur

Braxton McDonald, Braeden Cooper, Ryan Vest among those competing at prestigious provincial event

Fires ignite on Revelstoke’s Mt. Begbie; Kamloops Fire Centre blazes holding

Crews working throughout region over holiday weekend to contain wildfires

Vernon groups breathe sighs of relief following Community Futures cash

Organization offers relief funds to Elks Lodge and Canadian Mental Heath for operations

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Reported Big White wildfire dubbed ‘smoke chase’

Crews responded to the area but could not locate a fire

Alleged impaired driver sparks small wildfire near Lytton after crash: B.C. RCMP

Good Samaritans prevented the blaze from getting out of control

Wildfire in West Kelowna’s Rose Valley grows to 3 hectares

The fire was first reported at around 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 2.

Travel restrictions inspiring co-operation in border communities

Small border towns are asking for exemption to travel ban

B.C. First Nation adopts ‘digital twinning’ software to better manage territory

Software allows users to visualize what a mountain might look like if the trees on its slopes were logged

All inquiry recommendations implemented after fatal Port Hardy RCMP shooting: Ministry

The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. cleared the RCMP officers involved of wrongdoing

Most Read