Police found 129 images and eight videos which met the definition of child porn on a laptop seized from the man. (File)

Convicted child rapist loses sentence appeal in Kelowna

The man was sentenced to seven years in prison in December 2016

A man convicted of raping a child and producing child porn lost his sentencing appeal in Kelowna court.

According to a Nov. 19 judgment from the B.C. Court of Appeals, the man pleaded guilty to sexual interference of a child under 16 and making child pornography in February 2015. In December 2016, he was sentenced to seven years in prison, serving consecutive sentences of five years for sexual interference and two for making child pornography.

The man is only identified as S.C.W. in the documents, due to a publication ban that protects any information that could potentially identify the victims.

The man was 43 years old at the time of the 2012 arrest in which he was caught by police in the act of sexually violating a 12-year-old.

On S.C.W.’s laptop and camera, police found 129 images and eight videos of the child which met the definition of child pornography.

“The videos must be experienced to fully understand the full measure of the crushing depravity of the acts,” said Justice Mark Takahashi the 2016 sentencing. “They were witness to the psychological dismemberment and decapitation of the sexual being of a pre-adolescent child.

“Breathless in their brutality, there are no words to describe the despair one felt for the child or the loathing for [the appellant], except a deep and abiding sadness.”

At the time of arrest, the abuse had been taking place for more than a year and S.C.W. had been in a position of trust with the child for more than five years.

S.C.W. sought the appeal on grounds that he believed the sentencing judge erred in principle in rejecting a psychological risk assessment that concluded he posed a low risk of re-offending and considering his victim’s young age as an aggravating factor.

In the judgment, the Court of Appeals found that the judge was under no obligation to accept or give weight to the assessment.

The court also found that the victim’s age was relevant to assessing the vulnerability of the victim and the age difference between the victim and S.C.W. was relevant to assessing his culpability.

“The egregiousness of the sexual offence against a child increases as the age of the child decreases,” said Justice Richard Goepel in his dismissal of the appeal. “Taking into account the age of the victim is an appropriate consideration of the specific facts of the individual offence.”

S.C.W. has remained in custody since his sentencing in 2016.

READ MORE: Former Kelowna-based B.C. Dragoons leader pleads guilty to possession of child porn

READ MORE: Kelowna man sentenced to 18 months probation for filming co-workers in washroom


@michaelrdrguez
michael.rodriguez@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vernon gallery hosts Art After Dark

Event hosted by the Vernon Public Art Gallery Friday, Feb. 28

Vernon tennis player named Best of BC winner

Sport BC honours Vasek Pospisil for his comeback season after back surgery

Vernon golf course sinks construction on new clubhouse

Owners at The Rise are in a dispute with City of Vernon over tax assessment

Coaches take on players to honour Vernon volleyball player

Vernon Sky Club hosting event with proceeds to the Emily Dahl Foundation

‘Die!’: Vernon councillor mailed death threat

This story contains information that might be sensitive to some readers

Protecting privacy key to stopping spread of COVID-19, B.C. health officials say

The number of coronavirus cases in B.C. remains at seven

Fire crews battle large blaze in West Kelowna

Reports of multiple structures on fire in the Colleen Road area

Toffoli scores OT winner as Canucks beat Habs 4-3

Demko makes 37 saves for Vancouver

Kelowna man charged after naked driver leads RCMP on hit-and-run spree

A Kelowna man has been charged with numerous offences

Private clinics would harm ‘ordinary’ people using public system in B.C.: lawyer

Health Minister Adrian Dix announced in 2018 that the government would begin to fine doctors $10,000

B.C. terminates contract with hospice society refusing assisted death

Delta Hospice Society loses hospital service fund of $1.5 million

Hidden message connects Castlegar homeowners decades apart

The Rodgers family was surprised when a message fell out of the walls as they were renovating

Most Read