A new way to get around town is rolling out in Vernon.
Neuron Mobility, e-scooter operator, is bringing its first of a new fleet of e-bikes to town April 30. Vernon riders have already embraced the e-scooters, and the e-bikes offer another safe and sustainable option to commute to work, visit local businesses and explore the city.
Vernon becomes just the second city in Canada – and first in B.C. – to have Neuron’s e-bikes available for rent.
“The community has really taken to micromobility through our e-scooters and we’re thrilled to be able to offer them another environmentally-friendly and alternative transportation option, especially with fuel prices on the rise,” said Ankush Karwal, head of market for Neuron in Canada.
Seeing residents and visitors embrace more sustainable forms of transportation has been exciting for city officials and community leaders.
The Downtown Vernon Association is thrilled to see the new e-bikes even have a basket to accommodate local purchases.
Neuron will be at the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce’s Community Expo Saturday, April 30, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Kal Tire Place north to promote safety when using e-scooters and e-bicycles.
For the initial phase of the launch, the e-bike riding area will include Vernon’s downtown core and shared pathways leading into the city centre.
Vernon riders, who must be at least 16 years of age, can book an e-bike with the Neuron app for the same price as an e-scooter. Single trips cost $1.15 to unlock the e-scooter and 35 cents per minute thereafter. More frequent users also have the option to purchase Neuron passes, a subscription service, available in three-day ($25), weekly ($33), or monthly ($89) options.
Neuron’s e-bikes are fitted with the same cutting-edge safety features that are found on its e-scooters, including Geofencing Control and a world-first Helmet Lock. Helmet use is mandatory in Vernon.
Important riding rules and safety tips for e-scooters and e-bikes:
• Riders must be 16 years old and above, parental/guardian consent is required for riders under the age of 18.
• Wearing a helmet is mandatory, there is one on every e-scooter and e-bike.
• Riding is allowed on bike lanes, multi-use pathways and roads with a speed limit of 50km/h or lower. E-scooters are allowed on empty sidewalks but e-bikes are not.
• One rider per e-scooter and e-bike, and no tandem riding with children.
• Do not put children or pets in e-bike baskets.
• Keep a safe distance from pedestrians and other vehicles – and give way to all pedestrians and mobility devices such as wheelchairs.
• Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or other substances.
• Always be aware and remove earphones.
• Park responsibly and don’t cause an obstruction. Riders are encouraged to use designated parking areas which can be found in the Neuron app.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.