Electrical device linked to house fire

A quick-thinking Coldstream resident prevented a fire from roaring through their home.

A quick-thinking Coldstream resident prevented a fire from roaring through their home.

Occupants of a home on Postill Drive shut off the power as they were fleeing what they believed to be an electrical fire Sunday just before 3 p.m.

“That pretty much saved the house because that cut power off to the air exchanger,” said fire chief Dave Sturgeon, adding that the exchange is the most likely source of the blaze.

However, there was still the potential for the fire to spread.

“When we arrived, there was billowing black smoke coming from under the eaves,” said Sturgeon.

“Another two to five minutes and it could have become a structure fire.”

Damage was done to one wall as well as some siding, while there was smoke damage inside the house.

One of the occupants was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after he entered the home to get his pets.

As a result of this fire, residents are being encouraged to check their furnaces and air exchangers and make sure filters are not plugged.

“It wasn’t allowing for enough air draw to cool the motor down and it over-heated,” said Sturgeon of the air exchanger in the Postill Drive home.