An electrical fire Sunday has closed Rosalinda's Filipino Kitchen in downtown Vernon.

An electrical fire Sunday has closed Rosalinda's Filipino Kitchen in downtown Vernon.

Fire closes family restaurant

Rosalinda's Filipino Kitchen forced to close following electrical fire Sunday

A downtown Vernon restaurant is turning customers away after a fire broke out Sunday.

Rosalinda’s Filipino Kitchen is currently closed after an electrical fire broke out inside the restaurant.

“The restaurant was open at the time,” said Vernon Fire Rescue deputy chief Lawrie Skolrood.

The fire, which broke out shortly before 1 p.m., originated from an electrical panel, where a BC Hydro smart meter was located.

“It was pretty much contained to where the meters are,” said Skolrood, adding that the owner had the blaze extinguished before firefighters were on scene.

The owner, who runs the restaurant with his wife and employs three of his daughters, along with five other staff members, expects the restaurant could be closed for two to five weeks.

See Wednesday’s issue of The Morning Star for more details on the fire.