Fire forces Lumby man out of home

A blaze broke out in the 2300 block of Cedar Ridge Street at about 6:30 a.m.

A Lumby man was forced from his home by fire Friday morning.

A blaze broke out in the 2300 block of Cedar Ridge Street at about 6:30 a.m.

“A smoke alarm woke him up,” said Tony Clayton, fire chief, of the lone occupant.

“He saw smoke and got out. The smoke alarm saved him.”

The resident was taken to Vernon Jubilee Hospital with possible smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were on scene shortly after receiving the call.

“Smoke was billowing out from under the eaves,” said Clayton.

“We got the attack team in right away and they put the fire out.”

There is extensive smoke damage to the home.

“There is minimal damage to the structure,” said Clayton.

The cause was a pinched cord on an electric heater.