Residents are being warned not to throw burning material into dumpsters.
Vernon firefighters responded to a garbage bin fire in the 3500 block of 24th Avenue at 4:06 p.m. Thursday.
“A guy came across smoking coming out of a dumpster,” said Jack Blair, deputy fire chief.
“It’s not suspicious. It may have been discarded smoking material.”
Blair is urging people not to throw cigarette butts or other combustible items into dumpsters because of the potential fire risk.
“It happens a lot — guys dropping things in there,” he said.
Also on Friday, firefighters responded to the 4100 block of 27th Avenue.
“There was a report of a fire but there wasn’t a fire,” said Blair.
RCMP received a report from a man who said two individiuals had thrown burning items at his home.
“There were a few witnesses but we don’t know the circumstances yet,” said Sgt. Rob Farrer, with the RCMP.