The second phase of flood cleanup is underway in Vernon
The city is proceeding with Phase 2 of the sand bag disposal assistance program. This includes properties within the City of Vernon adjacent to Vernon Creek. Phase 1 of the program (properties within the City of Vernon adjacent to BX Creek) is still in effect until Aug. 6.
Residents of Vernon who are required to dispose of more than 400 sand bags from their properties can call City Operations at 250-549-6757 during regular business hours (Mon-Fri 7:30 a.m. -3:30 p.m.) to request assistance. City staff will review the request and if approved, City contractors will provide large collection bins to individual properties to assist with the removal process. Property owners are required to load the bins.
Due to the limitations of the number of bins available, collection will be completed in phases as follows:
– Phase 1: Properties within the City of Vernon adjacent to BX Creek – July 6 to Aug. 6
– Phase 2: Properties within the City of Vernon adjacent to Vernon Creek – July 10 to Augg. 10
– Phase 3: Properties on Lakeshore Drive – Timing to be announced
– Phase 4: Properties on Tronson Rd and Eastside Rd – Timing to be announced
In most instances, sand used for flood protection in the City of Vernon can be treated as clean soil and used as general fill, substitute aggregate in construction applications or blended into gardens and lawns.
Under no circumstances should sandbags be emptied on beaches or into any creeks, wetland, beaches or other watercourses as outlined in the Water Sustainability Act. The impact can destroy fish habitat and affect drinking water, infrastructure, flood control, navigation and recreational activities. Report violations to Natural Resource at 1 877-952-7277, (Option 2) toll-free or #7277 on a cellphone.
Sand bags can also be dropped off free of charge at the following locations as long as they are not mixed with any other substance, wood debris, garbage or recycling materials:
– All RDNO recycling and disposal facilities
– The sand bag fill site located outside Operations yard entrance at 1900 – 48 Avenue off Pleasant Valley Road
– The sand bag fill site located at corner of Okanagan Avenue and Okanagan Landing Road (across from Marshall Fields)
Sand Bag Handling Guidelines
– Gloves and appropriate footwear should be worn when handling sandbags.
– After handling sandbags wash exposed body parts with soap and water and launder clothing.
– Wet sandbags will be at least twice as heavy as dry sandbags therefore caution should be used or assistance should be sought for lifting the bags.
– In accordance with Provincial regulations, sand from sandbags must not be placed directly into or adjacent to streams, lakes, ponds, rivers, creeks, springs, ravines, gulches, or wetlands whether or not they contain water.
– Be careful when beginning a clean-up. Be aware of potential hazards such as physical, microbiological, and chemicals. For more information refer to HealthLink BC: http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile20.stm