Fund initiated for victim’s family

The community is rallying to help a family devastated by tragedy

The community is rallying to help a family devastated by tragedy.

Online donations are more than halfway, as of noon Thursday, toward a goal of $5,000 to help the family of Vernon’s Rodney Boring, 14, who died Sunday in a two-vehicle head-on collision just before 4 p.m. on Highway 97 south near Crystal Waters Road.

Boring was the passenger in a car driven by a 17-year-old Vernon resident who remains in hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

There were two Lumby residents in the vehicle struck by the car Boring was in. A 25-year-old woman, the passenger, suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

A total of $2,665 has been raised for the family through the Rodney Boring Memorial Fund, which can be accessed through a link on the Facebook page In Memory of Rodney Boring.

The Boring family have been longtime members of the Vernon baseball community, which has offered its support.

“Vernon Baseball will be accepting financial donations at this Saturday’s picture day at Marshall Field,” said minor baseball president Mark Batchelor. “Every dollar raised will be given directly to the Boring family.”

The picture on the memorial fund page is of Boring in his Vernon Minor Football Vernon Magnums’ No. 24 outfit.

“Rodney was a kid who loved football,” said Ed Huber, president of minor football. “He was a kid who always gave his best on the field and everybody who played with him enjoyed having him around.”

Boring was a Grade 9 student at Seaton.

The Vernon School District enacted its crisis  response team at the school Monday.

“We had counsellors from secondary and elementary schools, and NOYFSS (North Okanagan Youth and Family Services) meet with the staff at 8 a.m. Monday,” said school district superintendent Joe Rogers.

“A prepared statement was read to all the classes, and we had a room available where kids that wanted to talk about it or were upset could go and receive some counselling. There has been follow-up all week.”