Local residents helped the Lumby Fire Department control a grass fire that sparked on a dry Friday morning.
Fire Chief Tony Clayton said the fire was in the 400 block of Mabel Lake Road and the cause was a malfunctioning BC Hydro wire.
The fire sparked mid-morning June 30, and local residents helped get the blaze under control with rakes and shovels before firefighters arrived to douse the area with water.
Clayton said the fire only grew to about 10 feet by 10 feet but it had the potential to be a lot worse, adding it’s the time of year that people need to be vigilant when taking part in any activity that could spark a fire.
“I was surprised how dry it was that early in the morning,” Clayton told The Morning Star. “We have to really warn the public that it is a lot drier than it looks out there right now.”
The fire was in close proximity to structures, but Clayton said there was no immediate threat of it spreading to those structures.