Grass fire sparks reminder

On Thursday at about 3:45 p.m., B.C. Hydro called the Vernon Fire Department to a grass fire in the 9800 block of Eastside Road

Vernon residents are being reminded to be cautious with fire.

On Thursday at about 3:45 p.m., B.C. Hydro called the Vernon Fire Department to a grass fire in the 9800 block of Eastside Road.

“We’re not sure if they started it during some work they did,” said Jack Blair, deputy fire chief.

The blaze was about one-square-metre in size.

“Our guys just wet it down. A small bit of grass was on fire,” said Blair.

While the situation Thursday wasn’t serious, Blair says it sends a reminder to residents that wildfires are a risk even when the region has received rain.

“Grass dries out pretty quickly. We urge everyone to use caution,” he said.