Vernon firefighters battled two structure fires overnight Friday

Vernon firefighters battled two structure fires overnight Friday

Kitchen fires keep crews busy

Two fires in six hours kept Vernon Fire Rescue Services crews busy on the weekend

Two fires in six hours kept Vernon Fire Rescue Services crews busy on the weekend.

Firefighters did a great job to make sure a blaze on one side of a duplex in the 3700 block of Commonage Crescent did not do much damage to the neighbouring home.

The fire was reported at 3:22 a.m.

“We got a call of smoke and flames showing from a house and when firefighters arrived, they found a structure fire on one side of a duplex,” said deputy fire chief Jack Blair Monday. “There were heavy flames showing out the roof at the front of the building.

“The guys were able to get a large volume of water in through the front of the home which knocked the fire down.”

Crews began demolition and entered the building to do a primary search and further fire suppression.

“Fortunately, there was minimal spread to the unit next door and minimal damage,” said Blair.

There was extensive damage to the top half of the duplex on fire.

Both units were evacuated.

Emergency social services personnel were on hand to deal with the family whose unit was destroyed. The family was given temporary accommodation for three nights.

Blair said the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen area of the home, and was not believed to be suspicious in nature.

Six hours earlier, firefighters had been dealing with another kitchen fire, this one at a single-family home in the 4100 block of 20th Street.

“The people with the home were there,” said Blair. “It looks like while they had their backs turned, a pot took off on them and caught fire, as did the cabinetry above the stove.

“There was heavy smoke coming from the front of the building again. Our guys went inside and found heavy smoke and a small flame in the kitchen area, then knocked it down.”

The family will be displaced from their home for a week or so as a restoration firm fixes up the residence.

There were no injuries in either fire.