Vernon firefighters battled two structure fires overnight Friday

Kitchen fires keep crews busy

Two fires in six hours kept Vernon Fire Rescue Services crews busy on the weekend

Two fires in six hours kept Vernon Fire Rescue Services crews busy on the weekend.

Firefighters did a great job to make sure a blaze on one side of a duplex in the 3700 block of Commonage Crescent did not do much damage to the neighbouring home.

The fire was reported at 3:22 a.m.

“We got a call of smoke and flames showing from a house and when firefighters arrived, they found a structure fire on one side of a duplex,” said deputy fire chief Jack Blair Monday. “There were heavy flames showing out the roof at the front of the building.

“The guys were able to get a large volume of water in through the front of the home which knocked the fire down.”

Crews began demolition and entered the building to do a primary search and further fire suppression.

“Fortunately, there was minimal spread to the unit next door and minimal damage,” said Blair.

There was extensive damage to the top half of the duplex on fire.

Both units were evacuated.

Emergency social services personnel were on hand to deal with the family whose unit was destroyed. The family was given temporary accommodation for three nights.

Blair said the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen area of the home, and was not believed to be suspicious in nature.

Six hours earlier, firefighters had been dealing with another kitchen fire, this one at a single-family home in the 4100 block of 20th Street.

“The people with the home were there,” said Blair. “It looks like while they had their backs turned, a pot took off on them and caught fire, as did the cabinetry above the stove.

“There was heavy smoke coming from the front of the building again. Our guys went inside and found heavy smoke and a small flame in the kitchen area, then knocked it down.”

The family will be displaced from their home for a week or so as a restoration firm fixes up the residence.

There were no injuries in either fire.

 

Just Posted

Coldstream celebrates spring with Easter egg hunt

The family-friendly event takes place Mackie Lake House Saturday, April 20 at 10 a.m.

Vernon woman launches sewing studio

“I know there’s a lot of people up and down the valley that would love to sew.”

Vipers win pivotal game 5 to take 3-2 series lead

Vipers beat the Trail Smoke Eaters by a score of 5-2 and will look to end the series Saturday night in Trail at 7 p.m. at the Trail Memorial Centre. Contributed: Vernon Vipers Staff

None injured in small fire near Lumby

“It looks like it was accidental, definitely nothing suspicious.”

Vernon road closed again following landslide

The road that was reopened Thursday morning was closed again Friday following geotechnical engineer report.

Sparks fly as SUV speeds down wrong side of Highway 1 trying to flee RCMP

Captured on video, the vehicle headed westbound against oncoming traffic before crashing

1,300 cruise ship passengers rescued by helicopter amid storm off Norway’s coast

Rescue teams with helicopters and boats were sent to evacuate the cruise ship under extremely difficult circumstances

Former Okanagan teen found safe after disappearing from YVR airport

Ethan Burnett, 14, was found safe in Kelowna on March 22

B.C. university to offer first graduate program on mindfulness in Canada

University of the Fraser Valley says the mostly-online program focuses on self-care and well being

Province announces $18.6 million for B.C. Search and Rescue

The funding, spread over three years, to pay for operations, equipment, and training

Late-season wave of the flu makes its round in B.C.

BC Centre for Disease Control reported 50 per cent jump in flu cases in first weeks of March

Tofino’s housing crisis causing some to seek shelter at the local hospital

Tofino’s housing crisis is pushing the town’s ‘hidden homeless’ population into the forefront.

Sentencing judge in Broncos crash calls for carnage on highways to end

Judge Inez Cardinal sentenced Jaskirat Singh Sidhu to eight years

2 fires in Victoria caused by cigarettes prompts warning from deputy fire chief

Two separate fires caused by cigarette butts were avoidable

Most Read