Vernon firefighter Chad Gilroy hoses down a lawn tractor which sparked a hedge

Vernon firefighter Chad Gilroy hoses down a lawn tractor which sparked a hedge

Lawn tractor sparks house fire

South Vernon home sustains damage in fire Friday afternoon



Occupants were visibly shaken but otherwise OK following a house fire in the 3400 block of 24th Avenue Friday afternoon.

The land owner was reportedly mowing the lawn at the home, which has two rental units, when it sparked a bush, sending flames into the south Vernon home. Firefighters were quick to douse the fire, but smoke and water damage permeated the home.

Those inside the home at the time escaped uninjured but a pet bird was still being sought at the time.

The home was insured, but depending on the extent of damage residents may not be allowed back in until repairs are completed.