A man was taken to hospital with serious injuries stemming from a fire that occurred Monday morning at a Salmon Arm storage yard.
Around 11 a.m. on June 26, the Salmon Arm Fire Department received a report of a vehicle fire at ABC Storage on Auto Road.
Crews from Halls 1 through 3 responded, finding a motorhome ablaze and the fire having spread to a boat beside it and a camper trailer behind it. The fire also reached a nearby 20-foot shipping container, igniting its contents.
Before firefighters arrived on scene, Fire Chief Brad Shirley said a man who sustained second and third degree burns had been driven to hospital.
“Through our investigation it was determined that the gentleman who was burned, he was trying to get his motorhome running using some gasoline inside of it. It flashed on him and that’s what started the fire,” Shirley said Tuesday, adding he wasn’t sure of the man’s current condition.
The vehicle fires were knocked down fairly quickly, but the shipping container took some time as Shirley explained it was “absolutely full of personal items.”
“We had to get a small machine in to take all the items out and extinguish them as we were pulling them out,” said Shirley.
Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours. Without a nearby fire hydrant, they relied on water being shuttled in via the fire department’s water tenders.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter