Mountie found not guilty

Kelowna Mountie who was charged with assault during the summer bar flush one night last year was found not guilty

  • Oct. 24, 2015 8:00 a.m.

Kathy Michaels

Black Press

A Kelowna Mountie who was charged with assault following an interaction with a 61-year-old man during the summer bar flush one night last year was found not guilty.

Const. Grant Jacobson walked away from a Kelowna courtroom Tuesday with a clear record relating to a June 28, 2014 incident, that Kelowna resident John Patrick McCormick claimed went outside the bounds of policing.

Video footage indicates that while McCormick was on the ground at Rose’s Pub, Jacobson struck him three times in the mid-section.

When Jacobson offered testimony in his own defence in May, however, he told the court he was concerned McCormick was trying to get his firearm and he had no way to know the intention or ability of his alleged victim, thus the three strikes.

“You don’t have time to stop and make a plan — it’s reaction,” he said, explaining his RCMP training taught him that one of the most effective modes of defence was to control the threat by bringing the person to the ground.

The RCMP officer has worked as everything from a bouncer to gas station attendant before becoming an RCMP officer in 2007, and told the court he’s well versed in what it takes to communicate with drunk and/or hostile people—characteristics he claims McCormick exhibited.

McCormick never racked up criminal charges from this event. Instead, Jacobson gave him tickets for being intoxicated in public and obstructing a police officer.