Skip to content

Penticton properties near rockslide threat remain on evacuation alert

Rock remediation work is expected to conclude later this week
web1_231122-pwn-rockstablizin_2
A portion of this rock face is moving and unstable above homes in the Pleasant Valley Mobile home park, as seen on Nov. 22, 2023. Crews have since been working on a plan to stabilize the rock. (Monique Tamminga/ Western News)

A State of Local Emergency has been ended but evacuation alerts remain for properties over a potential rock-fall risk in Penticton.

The alerts for the 27 properties are still in place for the homes on Penticton Avenue where residents were forced to leave their homes last month due to the threat of a rockslide.

The state of emergency was declared in the city on Nov. 21, as properties above the Pleasant Valley Mobile Home Park were ordered to evacuate while a lock-block retaining wall was put in place.

Residents were allowed to return home on Nov. 23. The state of emergency was rescinded on Dec. 5.

City officials said Tuesday, Dec. 5, that the evacuation alert will remain in place as rock remediation wraps up.

Work on stabilization includes the installation of six rock bolts and removal of loose rock in the area. This work is ongoing and is expected to conclude later this week, the city said.

READ MORE: Rockslide threat addressed, Penticton evacuation order lifted





Pop-up banner image