Residents were evacuated from a Vernon senior care facility due to concerns of a potential gas leak Thursday morning.
Vernon Fire Rescue Services (VFRS) responded to a report of a sulphurous smell at Hearthstone Manor on 40th Street, just before 10 a.m. July 2.
VFRS crews confirmed the smell upon arrival, and two firefighters conducted a sweep of the building, fully equipped with self-contained breathing apparatuses and gas detectors.
Prior to the arrival of fire crews, staff at Hearthstone moved residents outside to the rear of the building as a precautionary measure.
The firefighters checked all natural gas and fire appliances, but no readings were recorded on the detectors, according to City of Vernon communications manager Christy Poirier.
“Therefore firefighters determined there was no immediate risk to life or safety,” Poirier said.
FortisBC was also on scene and conducted a sweep of the facility with the same result. The scene has since been cleared.