Residents flee home

Vernon Fire Rescue was called out to the home in the 4100 block of 33rd Street Friday

Heavy smoke from a fire in the basement forced three Vernon residents out of their home Friday.

Vernon Fire Rescue was called out to the home in the 4100 block of 33rd Street (in the Alexis Park area) shortly after midnight.

The fire, which crews were back on scene investigating Friday, appears to be from a short circuit in an electrical device, said deputy chief Jack Blair.

“It looks like just a big blob of plastic right now,” said Blair, who could not tell what the device was.

Three occupants of the single-family home were taken to Vernon Jubilee Hospital for possible smoke inhalation.

“It (burning plastic) emits a very heavy black smoke.”

Emergency Social Services was also called in to provide temporary housing to the residents while the heavy smoke damage is cleaned up.